Most clutches on manual transmission vehicles will last for four to seven years. However, driving in the heavy traffic, on hilly roads or other driving conditions can actually shorten the life of your clutch, causing it to slip. Therefore, it’s important to identify these problems and know how to repair it, in the event that your manual clutch is slipping.
Here are several indications or warning signs that your clutch is slipping.
- Your vehicle starts to have poor (or noticeably declining) gas mileage
- You need to downshift more often when going up a hill or incline.
- You have to press harder to use the clutch.
- Your engine starts revving when you put the car into motion (from a stop) or when you start accelerating.
- The clutch can’t be adjusted to provide pedal “freedom” or slack (should be about 1/2″).
- The clutch feels stiff and needs more pressure.
IMPORTANT: It’s important to have your clutch adjusted every six months or every six thousand miles, whichever comes first.
For clutch service or replacement in Huntington Beach visit Beach Cities Auto Repair.
Val & Mike’s Auto Repair Huntington Beach
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
We look forward to serving you!
Need an Appointment?